President Ramaphosa got tongues wagging with his statement about enhanced SASSA SRD Grant at the State of the Nation address. However, while there was no concrete detail was shared at SONA, we expect the Finance Minister to go into more detail during the 21 February budget speech.
TRENDING: HOW a Basic Income Grant in 2024 would boost the economy
Nevertheless, you’ve got to appreciate where the South African Social Security Agency’s Social Relief of Distress grant (SRD) comes from. Specifically, it started as a way to ease poverty during the COVID-19 pandemic. After much debate, an enhanced SASSA SRD Grant was identified as a way to help South Africans struggling with nothing. Furthermore, this is why it has been extended every year since. And the latest expiry date is set for March 2025.
ENHANCED SASSA SRD GRANT
Critically, the monthly stipend of R350 per month is open to all South African citizens, refugees, asylum seekers and special permit holders aged between 18- and 60-years old. And all you need is a smartphone/internet connection, and you can apply for it online. As a result, there are no documents required or no tedious queuing at a SASSA branch.
ALSO READ: WHO is ‘Tintswalo’ and is she living happily in South Africa?
The most frequently asked question about SASSA SRD is how do you apply? According to SASSA Check, you do the following:
- Visit the SRD portal HERE.
- Input your cell phone number and click Send SMS.
- Enter the 6-digit OTP number sent to your phone and click Verify Pin.
- Submit your South African ID number or Special Permit Number.
- Provide personal details – Name, Surname, Address, and Gender.
- Enter your banking details – Bank Name, Branch, Account Type, and Number.
- Alternatively, select the Send Cash payment option.
Furthermore, the Department of Home Affairs will verify you on its database, to check there is no fraudulent activity linked to your ID/bank account. Thereafter, you will receive cell phone confirmation that your SASSA SRD grant is approved.
SASSA SRD STATUS CHECK
The next FAQ is how to check your SRD status:
- Go to the official SASSA Status Check portal.
- Enter your South African ID in the ID Number section.
- Type in the cell phone number you used to submit your grant application.
- Click on Check Now to submit.
- You’re encouraged to check every month if your grant has been approved.
- Collection dates for the month will also be shared with you.
ALSO READ: How to expedite a South African smart ID card application in 2024
You can also message the SASSA chatbot to check your status and resolve any issues you might have:
- WhatsApp: 082 046 8553.
- Email: email@example.com.
- Phone: 080 060 1011.
- You will have to provide your South African ID and cell phone number to receive an OTP. You will then receive your updated application status.
NEXT READ: Necessary SASSA info for old-age grant recipients February 2024
Are you excited about the enhanced SASSA SRD Grant? Be sure to share your thoughts with our audience in the comments section below. And don’t forget to follow us @TheSANews on X and The South African on Facebook for the latest updates.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE ARTICLES FROM RAY LEATHERN